Monday, June 11, 2012

{Recipe} BBQ Ranch Chopped Salad

We had lunch at Panera on Saturday and I had their version of this salad.  I shared some with my husband who also enjoyed it.  So tonight I set out to duplicate it. It was excellent, low in calories, and I will definitely be making it again.   Their salad comes with the following description - All-natural, antibiotic-free chicken, romaine lettuce, roasted corn, black beans, tortilla strips & BBQ ranch dressing, drizzled with BBQ sauce.  I apologize for the poor photo quality... but seriously this salad is so tasty.


Changes - I didn't add chicken to ours.  We actually served grilled chili lime chicken breasts on the side.  I didn't roast my corn.  I didn't use a BBQ sauce drizzle.  I did add some shredded cheese.


BBQ Ranch Dressing

1 pack of Hidden Valley Ranch salad dressing mix
1 cup of 1% organic milk
1 cup of Chobani plain Greek Yogurt
3 T of Trader Joe's BBQ sauce

Directions - I mixed the dry mix into the milk with a whisk.  Then I added the yogurt and BBQ sauce. I placed it in a container with a lid and shook it up.  It needs to sit for 30 min - 1 hour before serving.

Based on the ingredients I used the entire container of dressing came to 366 calories.  I used less than half of it on the salad.  I think you can get at least 8 two ounce servings if not more which makes it around 46 calories per 2 ounce serving, which isn't bad at all for dressing.

BBQ Ranch Chopped Salad

3 heads of Romaine lettuce
1 ear of fresh corn
1/2 can of black beans - rinsed and drained
1/2 c. reduced fat shredded cheese
3/4 c. of tortilla strips (in the produce section)
Homemade BBQ ranch dressing to taste

Directions -

1. Put the entire ear of corn in the microwave for 4 minutes.  Leave it in the husk.  Cut of the end of the corn cob and shake the corn out of the husk.  ALL of the silk will be peeled away from the corn.  When it cools, slice the corn off of the cob and place in a bowl.

2. Drain and rinse the black beans.  Pat dry.

3. Drain, dry, and chop your lettuce. 

4. Place the lettuce in a bowl.  Add corn, black beans, shredded cheese, tortilla chips, and dressing to taste.  I just drizzled some over top.  Mixed up the salad.  Then add more dressing if necessary. 

*I wouldn't serve the dressing on the side.  It tastes best all mixed up.

*This makes 2-3 servings of salad depending on serving size.

*You can add other things like black olives, diced tomatoes, or green/red peppers to this recipe to suit your taste.  You can add more corn or more beans.  You can omit the cheese.  You can grill chicken and add some to this.  The possibilities are endless. 


1 comment:

Miranda said...

This sounds DELICIOUS! Thank you so much for sharing!!!!!