Monday, April 30, 2012

When Family Disappoints You

A few weeks back, my father-in-law texted my husband to say he was coming into town this past weekend.  Her told him he was arriving on Friday.  My husband offered up our guest room to him as well.

Thursday evening... we saw via Facebook that G (my father-in-law) was in town... a day early.  Apparently there was a function he attended for his grandson.

My husband is the youngest of five boys.  Three of the boys live with their families locally.  All three live in different towns in Rhode Island... no more than 15 minutes apart.

Friday evening... apparently the family minus US got together... again we saw this via Facebook.

Saturday afternoon... still not having heard from G, we headed out for a late lunch and some errands.  While I was at Home Goods and Chris and Maddie were at Best Buy, my husband received a text from his dad around 3 pm.  It went like this...

G - Are you up for a quick visit later tonight?

Chris - What time were you thinking?

G -  Not sure... sometime after dinner.

Chris - Can I get back to you? {We still had a few more errands to run and weren't certain when we would be back home... }

G - That's okay... maybe next time.

REALLY?  I was livid.  I was so sad for my husband.  I know he was let down and disappointed.  I know he felt like an after thought.  I know that his father was just trying to "stop by" to say he did it... not because he wanted to spend any quality time with us.  How are you okay as a "parent" to spend days with one child and his family and not even see your other son and his?

Having heard this, Madison hugged him and told him we still loved him.   It was a super sweet moment between the two of them.

I am not sure how you choose some of your children other than others... It is sad.  It makes me just love my husband even more.  My husband is an amazing father... even though his own father is a poor example.

3 comments:

Erin McG said...

I am livid for you too. I hate to hear stuff like this. My heart breaks for your hubby and you too.

beka said...

I have been through this with my husband's family and it is so hurtful and infuriating. I think it's so hard to see the man you love be hurt by his family :( I'm sorry this happened. It sucks!

Unknown said...

That just sucks. I am not sure why it happens. I have a friend who has this same thing happen with her husband. I'm so sorry this happens to you all.