Saturday, June 18, 2011

Easy Sausage Gravy Recipe

This is my dad's favorite breakfast.  Growing up my grandmother and aunt used to make it all of the time for us.  My sister and I loved it too.  Yesterday on my way to visit my parents my dad called to ask if he picked up the ingredients at the store if I would make it for him.

So this morning I got up early and made a big pot of sausage gravy.  The recipe is super simple.

You Will Need -

-1 pound of breakfast sausage
- 1 cup of all purpose flour
- 1/2 gallon - 1 gallon of whole milk (depending on how much you want to make)

Directions -

Brown the sausage over medium heat in a large pot.  Then add a cup of flour to sop up the grease from the sausage.  Mash and stir it into the sausage and grease until it is all absorbed.  Then add 1/2 gallon - a gallon of milk.  Continue to cook over medium heat until the gravy starts to thicken, then stir, and add salt and pepper.  Repeat stirring and letting it sit for a bit until you get the consistency you desire.  I like to serve it pretty thick.  Then you can serve it over white toast or biscuits.

It definitely isn't the healthiest of breakfasts...but it sure is tasty.

No comments: