Thursday, June 30, 2011

Recipe - Homemade Pineapple Carrot Coconut Cupcakes w/ Cream Cheese Frosting

Amazing...is a great work to describe these awesome treats.  This morning I woke up and had two for breakfast...straight from the fridge.  I love them cold.  Since they are filled with carrots and pineapple... I figured they would be great for breakfast.  I think what makes them amazing is the homemade cream cheese frosting which is to.die.for.


The carrot cake recipe comes from one of my favorite go to blogs for amazing recipes - Keeping Up With the Joneses.  I tweaked the recipe just a bit by adding a cup of coconut to the recipe and omitting the nuts.  I also made the batter a bit differently.  Kendall's recipe can be found {here}.

Ingredients -

2 cups of all purpose flour
2 cups of sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
3 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
2 cups shredded carrots
1/2 c. drained crushed pineapple
1 cup sweetened coconut

Directions -

1. You need to chop the carrots up more finely.  I used my mini food processor.
2.  Combine the eggs, vegetable oil, and vanilla.
3. In a separate bowl mix the sugar, flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
4. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients a little bit at a time until it's all incorporated.
5. Add the pineapple, carrots, and coconut.  Mix until combined.
6. Bake at 350 degrees. 

Cupcakes - 19 minutes
8x8 square cake pan - 35 minutes

Check to make sure it is done before cooking on a wire rack.

The Best Cream Cheese Frosting - via Southern Living Magazine - October 2010

Beat 8 ounces of cream cheese and 3 Tbsp. softened unsalted butter at medium speed until creamy.  Gradually add 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt, beating until blended.  Stir in 1 tsp. of vanilla.  Frost the cooled cupcakes/cake.

Seriously... I could eat this frosting with a spoon...it is amazing and pairs perfectly with this cake recipe.

I like to store this treat in the fridge.

No comments: